A few of my users have told me that they cannot see the Arabic words on my blog properly. This is despite the fact that I have chosen, after much wrangling, to post the material using Traditional Arabic Font. This, I thought, was installed by default on Windows XP systems.
Once you have downloaded the font, go to the Fonts folder under C:\Windows (C:\WinNT in some systems), go to File menu and select “Install New Font”. Select the font file you have saved and click OK. Once installation is complete, restart your browser and revisit the blog. Do leave your results of this exercise here. I hope this helps the Windows users. I still have to come up with a solution for the Linux users since at least one person has told me that the fonts are not properly rendered on Linux based machines.
As for Linux users, they should download the PDF Files for this blog from the PDF Files page. I have tested these files on Ubuntu Linux 7.10 and the files were rendered correctly. This should take care of the blog not being rendered properly on the Linux machines issue, Insha Allah.
As of today [21st January 2008], I have found a nice solution to the problem where the Arabic Fonts are not rendered properly on Linux systems. What you need to do is browse to your Windows’ Fonts folder from your Linux system [if you have a dual boot machine, else just copy the tradbdo.ttf and trado.ttf on your machine], load up the Fonts Installer in KDE (I could not find one in GNOME) and point it to these two files. Make sure that you do this in Administrative mode so that the installation is done system wide. Simply click OK and the fonts will be installed on your Linux system. I have tried this on Ubuntu 7.10 and it works like a charm!